I think the below looks awesome and I hope to be able to make it this weekend after I get to make a trip to the grocery store. You know I love kale and I also love beets and goat cheese. I am normally not one to want to vary much from a classic such as regular grilled cheese, but this looks like something I would be willing to try!
I will probably just get the normal white mushrooms and use canned beets though…
- 2 slices of white mountain bread
- 2 tabs of real salted butter
- 1/2 cup of goat cheese
- 2 tbs sauteed kale
- 2 tbs sauteed oyster, portabello, shitake mushrooms
- 1 tbs diced roasted beets
1. Begin by chopping your beets into teeny tiny little squares. Mix them into the goat cheese and stir until completely incorporated. Smear half of the goat cheese onto one slice of bread, and smear the other half onto the other slice of bread. Onto one half, add the sauteed kale, making sure to squeeze it so that the excess liquid comes out before you put it on the sandwich. Next, add the sauteed mushrooms and close the sandwich up with the other slice of goat cheese smeared bread. Smear butter onto the exterior of the sandwich and set aside.
2. Heat up a medium sized pan or a panini press to medium and add the sandwich in. Allow the sandwich to cook for a few minutes on each side until both sides are completely golden and brown and the cheese has started to soften up Since it’s fresh goat cheese, the cheese won’t necessarily melt like a cheddar or mozzarella. It will get soft and creamy though, so that’s what you should be looking for. After a few minutes on each side, the sandwich should be ready. Allow it to sit for a few minutes just to firm up and